Do you have a safe house for you and your family? On this page and the other pages at the bottom will help you have a safe house. Every year nearly 4,000 Americans die in home fires and more than 25,000 are injured.
* Keep matches, lighters and candles out of reach and out of sight of children!
* Smoking is dangerous! No one should ever smoke in bed. Make sure that cigarettes/cigars are extinguished properly before dumping ashes.
* Avoid grease build-up in the kitchen and on appliances. Cooking fires are common. Don’t leave food cooking on stovetops unattended.
* If a fire should occur, suffocate it with a pot/pan lid or a cookie sheet, or close the oven door.
* Dispose of materials from fireplaces and grills in non-flammable containers.
* Make sure your electrical system is not being over-taxed.
* Inspect wires. If you find any worn or exposed wiring from appliances, discontinue their use immediately!
* Space heaters can be dangerous if not used correctly. Make sure yours will automatically shut off if tipped over. Consult the operating instructions to make sure you are using space heaters, gas fire places, and other heat sources as intended by the manufacturer. Keep all flammable materials away from heat sources! If there are young children in the house, make sure space heaters and hot water heaters are inaccessible.
* Chimney fires are common. Have your chimney inspected and cleaned annually.
* Keep bedroom doors shut while sleeping. If you think there is a fire, feel the door and knob for heat before opening.
* Young children should know their street address and last name (and, of course, how to dial 911).
* If you should catch fire stop, drop, roll and cover your face.
* Crawl low in smoke to be in good air.
* Never hide and never be afraid of firefighters.
* Only dial 911 in case of emergencies.